Why do proceedings need to be issued in my name?

As you have an interest in the vehicle that was damaged, you are the party who has suffered a compensable loss. Similarly, even if the at fault driver has insurance, and indemnity has been confirmed, the at fault driver is listed as a party in the proceedings.